12 Must-Have Essential Oils
To become familiar with using essential oils, you don’t need to buy them all! Some of them which are ideal for everyday use can be included in your “basic family health kit”, which every home should have. Learn about the 12 must-have essential oils...
Antiseptic, extremely multi-purpose, anti-infectious, and decongestant, this essential oil is particularly effective in fighting the flu, sinusitis, bronchitis, and ear infections.
- Acne, mycosis, wounds, Athlete’s foot or wart: Apply 1 drop of tea tree essential oil on the skin.
- Sore throat: Mix 3 drops of tea tree essential oil with 2 drops of Calophyllum plant oil and massage the chain ganglia on either side of the neck, 3 times per day.
- ENT Infections: 2 or 3 drops of tea tree essential oil on a tissue, to be inhaled.
This is the essential oil for all scalp problems (inflammation, itching, redness, dandruff, oily hair). A hair tonic, antiseptic and antimycotic agent, this essential oil stimulates, purifies, regenerates the scalp, revitalises hair and stimulates growth. It is also the ultimate weapon against cellulite, vein and lymph congestion (oedema, heavy legs).
- SCALP ITCHING: Add 9 drops of Atlas cedar essential oil in 30 ml of St John’s Wort plant oil (or sweet almond oil, in the event of overexposure to the sun). Apply twice per week as a hair mask, leave to set for 20 to 30 minutes before shampooing.
- ANTI-MITES: Pour 5 drops of Atlas cedar essential oil on a piece of wood, stone, or handkerchief and place your wardrobe.
- PRODUCTIVE COUGH: Mix 3 or 4 drops of Atlas cedar essential oil with 8 drops of sweet almond plant oil, massage the thorax and soles of the feet with this blend, morning and night, for 5 to 7 days.
Haemostatic cistus ladanifer essential oil also helps to heal various minor wounds (cuts, scrapes, etc.), by preventing the formation of keloids (dermal exogrowths around the healed wound).
- Nosebleeds (epistaxis): Pour 2 drops of cistus ladanifer essential oil on a cotton bud and apply to inside of nostril (or soak a small piece of cotton to be left in the nostril) for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Bleeding wound: Apply 2 drops of cistus ladanifer essential oil directly on the affected area.
- Blisters: Mix 2 drops of cistus ladanifer essential oil + 1 drop of helichrysum essential oil + 20 drops of rose hip plant oil. Apply 4 drops of the blend onto the blister, 3 times per day, until the skin heals.
Anti-inflammatory, analgesic and a muscle relaxant, this essential oil relieves pain and inflammation in the muscles, joints and nerves (aches, cramps, lumbago, stiff neck, tendinitis, sprains, sciatica, osteoarthritis including shingles, etc.). It also keeps lice and mosquitoes away.
- RHEUMATISM, MUSCULAR OROSTEO -JOINT PAINS: Dilute 5 drops of lemon eucalyptus essential oil in 1 teaspoon of Calophyllum plant oil and massage the blend onto the painful area 3 times daily, for 1 to 3 weeks, depending on the pain.
- ZOSTER (shingles): Apply 4 drops of lemon eucalyptus essential oil blended into 1 tablespoon of St John’s Wort plant oil 6 times daily, until lesions completely disappear.
This essential oil is a radical treatment for respiratory tract diseases and flu.
- ENT infections (viral or bacterial): Blend 5 drops of eucalyptus radiata with 5 drops of plant oil (sweet almond or macadamia), and rub into the upper back, thorax and neck, in the evening before bedtime.
- Blocked nose: Pour 5 drops of eucalyptus radiata essential oil on a tissue or in a bowl of steaming water, then inhale for 10 minutes.
- Ear infection: Apply 2 drops of eucalyptus radiata essential oil around the earlobe, 3 times per day, for 5 days. Never pour essential oil into the ear canal.
This essential oil effectively fights all problems affecting the mouth (canker sores, dental pain, gingivitis, abscesses, etc.).
- Appetite-suppressant: In a bottle, blend 60 drops of clove essential oil with the same amount of Ceylon cinnamon essential oil and inhale the blend from the bottle (5 deep breaths) whenever you feel hunger pangs.
- Canker sore or dental abscess: Pour 1 drop of clove essential oil on a cotton bud, and apply directly to the sore or the base of the tooth.
Helichrysum essential oil is the remedy to use for bumps and bruises of any kind, at any age.
- Bruises or bumps: Blend 2 drops of helichrysum essential oil with 2 drops of Calophyllum plant oil and massage into the painful area 3 times per day.
- Blood circulation: Massage the targeted areas (from bottom to top) using a blend of 2 drops of helichrysum essential oil diluted in 20 teaspoons of macadamia plant oil.
- Skin (couperose, chapping, post-surgery): Apply 2 to 3 drops of helichrysum essential oil to the skin, or on larger surfaces, dilute the drops in 10 drops of rose hip plant oil.
This essential oil relaxes and soothes. It can also be used to clean minor scratches and helps wounds heal more quickly.
- Relaxation: Apply 2 drops of pure true lavender essential oil to the solar plexus and massage gently.
- Sleep aid: Blend 10 drops of true lavender essential oil diluted in 1 tablespoon of neutral base for the bath or shower or skimmed milk to the bathwater. Soak for 20 minutes before bedtime and do not rinse off.
- Burns, sunburn: Apply 2 to 4 drops of true lavender essential oil to the affected area or blend
To relieve indigestion, nausea, motion sickness, lack of energy, and also when you need a good analgesic, in particular for headaches.
- Headache: Apply 1 drop of peppermint essential oil on the temples (away from the eyes) and frontal sinuses.
- Itching: Massage the entire irritated area using a blend of 3 drops of peppermint essential oil diluted in 10 teaspoons of St John’s Wort plant oil.
This essential oil helps treat all severe infections. It is a powerful anti-bacterial agent (without irritating the intestines or triggering bacterial resistance), with anti-viral, anti-fungal and antiparasitic properties. It is also comforting and revitalising after going through “hard times”.
- Immune system stimulation: Blend 2 drops of compact oregano essential oil in 1 teaspoon of sweet almond plant oil and massage the upper back and solar plexus, 2 times per day, for 8 days.
This essential oil is highly recommended against all types of viral ailments (flu, cold), as well as cold sores or shingles.
- Fatigue and immunity: Apply 3 drops of ravintsara essential oil on the sternum, upper back, wrists, and fold of the elbow, 3 times per day, for 10 days.
- Cold sores: Blend 1 drop of ravintsara essential oil in 1 drop of Calophyllum and St John’s Wort plant oil on the lesion, 5 times per day, until it heals.
- Respiratory problems: Blend 5 drops of ravintsara essential oil in 5 drops of jojoba or sweet almond plant oil, massaging into the thorax, 3 times per day.
An antimicrobial agent, this essential oil is always well tolerated.
- Fatigue: Dilute 5 drops of thyme linalool essential oil in 1 teaspoon of macadamia plant oil and massage along the spinal cord twice a day, for 5 days. Acne: Carry out a facial steam bath (for 15 minutes), twice a week, using 2 drops of thyme linalool essential oil mixed with 1 tablespoon of skimmed milk in a bowl of warm water.
- Air purification: Pour 5 drops of thyme linalool essential oil, 5 drops of eucalyptus radiata essential oil, and 10 drops of lemon essential oil in a cold mist diffuser. Diffuse twice a day, 20 minutes each time, to purify indoor air.
Use plants and Essential Oils with care. Before any use, read the information and precautions for use carefully. Always seek the advice of a pharmacist before use. Extract from 48 essential oils which every home needs to be healthy, practical guide by Top Santé.