Which essential oils to help fight depression?
The surge in depression and anxiety is well documented: 1.6 million people are currently on NHS waiting lists in England alone ; a third of young adults have reported a decline in their mental health; and depression in over-50s has doubled.4
The latest real-world research we conducted, suggests the numbers affected are even higher. The research found that three quarters of adults (76%) believe the pandemic has had a negative impact on their mental health and a third (34%) have experienced a significant change.
The most common factors undermining the nation’s mental health are:
- Lack of sleep (79%)
- Stressful situations (78%) and
- Over-thinking things (77%).
How can essential oils help to combat depression?
It is always important to have a genital wart examined to lower the risk of serious It’s important to start by stating that any severe depression requires personalised treatment prescribed by a doctor.
Aromatherapy can be a sufficient way for some to naturally overcome a period of depression, low mood, or feelings of discouragement or weariness, which many people experience from time to time.
Approximately 10% of the global population suffer from a depressive syndrome linked to the lack of light and the disruption of the internal clock, commonly known as Seasonal Affective Disorder. This commonly sets in at the beginning of autumn and lightens when spring rolls around. Essential oils can offer a daily response to the symptoms this disorder can cause. When used by inhalation or diffusion in particular, certain essential oils can reduce fatigue, boost immunity and relieve stress.
To overcome a difficult moment: Scots Pine
Apply a few drops of Scots Pine essential oil along the spine, under the arch of the foot and on the solar plexus, every morning, noon and night until you feel better. You can also inhale Scots Pine essential oil by applying one drop to the inside of each wrist, and breathing in deeply. Adults only.
To calm the nerves: Neroli
Pour one drop of Neroli or Petit Grain Bigarade essential oil into the palm of your hand. Rub your hands together and raise them up to breathe in deeply. Repeat this process for two to three minutes several times a day. Continue for two to three weeks. Adults only.
Against stress and fatigue: Exotic Basil
The essential oil of Exotic Basil works as a regulator of the nervous system. It can help to alleviate all states of depression and fatigue as well as spasmophilia.
- Tip: Combine 1 drop of Basil essential oil, 1 drop of Rosewood essential oil, 1 drop of Black Spruce essential oil, 1 drop of Scots Pine essential oil and 1 drop of Thyme Linalool essential oil with 5 drops of Arnica vegetable oil. Apply this mixture along the spine three times a day for ten days. Adults only.
Essential oils to use for depression:
- Rosewood or HÔ wood: Combine 1 drop of tea tree essential oil, 1 drop of HÔ Wood essential oil, 1 drop of Marjoram essential oil, 1 drop of Neroli essential oil, 1 drop of Rosemary Verbenone essential oil and 1 drop of Lemon Verbena essential oil. Apply this mixture along the spine, to the solar plexus, the arch of the foot and the inside of the wrists twice a day for a fortnight. Adults only.
- Lemon lite: Mix 2 drops of Lemon Bedew essential oil with 2 drops of Petit Grain Bigarade essential oil. Apply the mixture using light massage to the spine, the solar plexus and the inside of the wrists. Raise your hands up to your face and breathe deeply. Adults only.
- Neroli: Combine 1 drop of Tea Tree essential oil, 1 drop of Rosewood essential oil (or if not available use Hô Wood), 1 drop of Marjoram essential oil, 1 drop of Neroli essential oil and 1 drop of Rosemary essential oil. Apply this mixture along the spine, to the solar plexus, the arch of the foot and the inside of the wrists twice a day, for a fortnight. Adults only.
Other essential oils effective for depressive states:
- Nutmeg essential oil is useful for episodes of anxiety and nervousness.
- Patchouli essential oil is a natural antidepressant with soothing properties, and is traditionally recommended for sexual dysfunction and depression.
- Damask Rose essential oil has a comforting, balancing and soothing effect, useful in combatting depression and stress, and can revive a diminishing libido.
How sleep & stress is impacting the mood?
Puressentiel’s research found that 93% of adults experience insomnia at some time, with stress (50%), anxiety (48%) and being unable to switch off (48%) the most likely to keep us awake.3
Dr Nisa Aslam, GP and part of the Puressentiel expert hub says: “There is a huge body of evidence to show that anything which improves sleep will improve mood; and anything which improves mood will have a beneficial impact on the quality and duration of our sleep. Yet 12% of adults dismiss insomnia as ’one of those things’.
Try Puressentiel Rest & Relax Air Spray — a blend of 12 essential oils including sandalwood, lavender and neroli. Clinical trials are extremely positive on the fact that the Rest & Relax Air Spray improves sleep scores across five different measures.
Disclaimer: This article is intended as a guide and is not a substitute for the advice of a physician, pharmacist or other health care professional.
When using any essential oil therapeutically, always consult a doctor or a pharmacist. Refer carefully to the contraindications and precautions for use of each essential oil. In case of doubt, consult a health professional.
Source: Extracts from the books "Aromatherapia, tout sur les huiles essentielles" and "HUILES ESSENTIELLES, HUILES VÉGÉTALES & HYDROLATS : Mes indispensables", by Isabelle Pacchioni, published by Aroma Thera.